The Leopard 2 main battle tank is one of the best main battle tanks in the world as of 2014, and is more than a match for any ground unit fielded by the various American factions. It is the one of the most capable of the European Union's three heavy armor units, second only to the EU Goliath. Designed and built in Germany, the Leopard 2 is a force to be reckoned with on the battlefields of the former United States.
- Unit Type: Heavy Armor
- Availability: European Union
- Cost: $42,000
- Anti-Infantry Attack: 12
- Anti-Vehicle Attack: 17
- Anti-Aircraft Attack: 6
- Defense Rating: 12
- Hit Points: 21
- Collateral Damage: 4
- Sight Range: 2
- Target Range: 2
- Movement Range per turn: 5
- Fuel Supply: 35
The Leopard 2 is nearly-identical to the Abrams in terms of statistics. Against infantry, it has an attack of 12 versus the Abrams' 13, and is slower at 5 versus 6 movement range per turn. The Leopard 2's greatest advantage is in having 5 more fuel supply than an M1, meaning it can move at nearly the same speed with less risk of running out of fuel during an offensive. Against the M60 and T-55, and against all Medium and Light armor units, the Leopard 2 fights at a more significant advantage, and if it attacks Anti-Air or Artillery units up close, the Leopard 2 is deadly.
Overall, the Leopard 2 is one of the best Heavy Armor units in the game, offering considerable firepower and armor at a lower cost than the EU Goliath, which runs $51,000 versus the Leopard 2's $42,000. It is not as fast as the Challenger 1, which moves at 6 hexes per turn like the Abrams does, but the Leopard's strong stats do well at making up for that. The Leopard is more or less an equal to the Abrams and T-90, and fights only at a moderate disadvantage against the FCS heavy tanks.
If a Leopard 2 is promoted to Veteran I or Veteran II status, its Hit Points and Fuel Supply increase each time. Its upgraded stats for each level of Veterancy status are:
- Experienced- Hit Points: X, Fuel Supply: X
- Veteran- Hit Points: X, Fuel Supply: X
Behind the Scenes Edit
- The Leopard 2 is specifically based on the Leopard 2A5, the first version of the Leopard 2 to utilize the angled, arrow-shaped turret applique armor shown on the tank in-game.
- At the time of "Shattered Union"'s release in 2005, within the European Union, the Leopard 2 was in use in Austria, Denmark, Finland, Germany, the Netherlands, and Spain, making EU Leopard 2's potentially being from any one of those countries' armies.
- The game manual states the Leopard 2's official designation as: "Leopard 2 (MBT-2A5)".